Friday, June 25, 2010

30-Day Challenge Day - 14: Youtube and the Vuvuzela...Clever!

So if you peruse Youtube frequently for whatever you use it for (music, movie clips, sports moments or whatnot), you may have passed it right over. Unless you're really looking, or have been made aware of it, it's very easy to miss. The application button is tiny and can be an afterthough after the pause/play and volume controls.
But...it IS there and it IS clever.

Yes, Youtube has added a small soccer ball to it's control panel. You know what that means!! Youtube has created a control where you can dub over the sound of whatever you're watching with the sound of the the legendary 2010 World Cup vuvuzela. BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....BBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...BBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Now some may think this is pointless and useless. I would agree to useless, however not quite pointless. That is, depending on how you're looking at the situation. This is a great, sly marketing move by Youtube. The issue has made national news so that right there is free marketing and advertising for Youtube. What was the first thing I did upon hearing of this?! Why go straight to Youtube.com and see this thing for myself. "It exists..." I exclaimed to myself upon discovery. So yes, I just HAD to get a few of my favorite music clips and hit that soccer ball icon; BBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. True, Metallica never sounded worse, but I got a kick out of it. In the end, this drives extra site traffic! Once I heard about it I had to find out for myself. So have (and will) millions more.

Gimicky? Sure. But sometimes it's the silly gimicks that work the best to get your name on people's lips and drive some traffic! Marketing 101 people, figure it out.

So now that you know, go give Youtube and Google some traffic. I mean, you're gonna anyway so no guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment