Friday, September 24, 2010

Beer Review: Moose Drool Brown Ale, Big Sky Brewing Co.

Evening All! It's been far too long since I have done a proper beer review on here and I found one I really wanted. It's Moose Drool Brown Ale from the Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula, Montana. My friend Meg told me stories, as well as BeerAdvocate.com and I had to get my hands on it. So here it goes!



A- Nice dark, ruby brown color. A thick off-white head rises to a two-finger height and slowly falls. Slight lacing clutches the inside of the glass as I drink. Definitly not bad for a brown ale!

S- This one smells earthy to me. I've got dark root branches, raw caramelized malts and other dark bits. There is a slight twinge on the nose that I can't quite place that is almost of something that has been burnt. Okay...now on to the real part.

T- Mmmmmm dark roasted malts galore! This one is a flavor-packed pinata. It does have a root/earthiness to it that I can't place, and there still is the ever so slight burnt twinge on the end. As a brown ale should be, there is no evidence of hop flavor anywhere. Caramalized goodness encases and coats my mouth...ah, yes! I know what that burnt snap reminds me of! Real bar-b-que. You know, the stuff that's been sitting in the filthy pit for 10 hours now and is melt-in-your-mouth amazing? Yeah, right here. This beer would pair with that soooo well it would almost be wrong.

M- Mouthfeel is very nice. Not overly carbonated and it certainly isn't too watery. You can just sense the appropriate amount of density in this one that you know a good amount of quality ingredients have been used.

D- The drinkability is amazing. I can session this all afternoon tailgating or sitting on the porch on a sunny fall day.

I found this one at Siciliano's on Lake Michigan Drive. If you like brown ales, get there and grab you some. This stuff is balanced, but it is NOT boring. I am really enjoying this one and I know you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment