Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Trip Report: From the Mitten to the Golden Coast-Part 2

I will pick up where I left off from part one.
Friday, August 27, 2010

After cleaning up my act from a morning (plus) of travelling at my hotel, I put on some sandals and a t-shirt and headed outside.

View from my room, loved it.

Standing above Sepulveda Blvd., this is one busy road!
Sunny skies greeted me, although it was rather cool and dry (low 70's, mid 60's) compared to home, and the other times I had been out to LA).
My first stop was imperative, I hadn't had a real meal since 4am EST and it was now 2:30pm PST! Where else but the In-N-Out Burger on Sepulveda!!

If you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing In-N-Out, get out to the West coast, you're missing out. It's amazing, and the most expensive thing on the normal menu is $3.05 (the double-double I always order!!). The fries are LITERALLY made fresh from potatoes in front of you. It takes a while to get your food, but it's worth every moment. You'll understand why the line is always so long.
What to do? Well get your food and eat outside of course as you watch planes soar in to land on runway 24R a mere 200 feet over your head. It's an amazingly unique environment and experience.

As you can see from my photo, it was starting to cloud over at this point. With the encroaching marine layer, temps started dropping. By 4pm we were at 63 degrees F. Despite the cool temperatures, I needed some salt-water in my veins. I could smell it from the airport (a mere mile from the ocean) and it was too tempting. I grabbed an OceanExpress shuttle ticket from the concierge desk back at the Radisson and a schedule and hopped on the 4:30 out to Manhatten Beach.
*Side Note* Ocean Express Trolley System is a system that connects all the LAX airport hotels with beach-front communities. It's a wonderful service and allows one to get away from their hotel without the expense of a taxi, or walking the distance to the LA rail station.
I would be out in Manhatten Beach anyway Saturday, so I decided to get a jump on the scene, despite the clouds.

I walked around for a couple hours and soon with only a t-shirt, shorts and sandals, became a little chilled (despite being a tough Michigander). I decided it was best to head back to the hotel, throw on some jeans and tennis shoes and watch planes as night fell.

By 8pm PST I was simply exhausted. It was 11pm back home, and I had been up and travelling, walking and exploring since 2am. It had been a 21-hour day, and I fell into my heavenly SleepNumber bed and was out like a light. With the lights and action of the world's fifth busiest airport still buzzing below out my window, I drifted off. It hadn't seemed like a 21-hour day, but it had been.

I was hoping for far better weather for Saturday and my wish would be granted.
Saturday's activities from top-to-bottom will be posted next in part three! Heads up, this will be a long and photo-rich post.

Until then,

No comments:

Post a Comment